Donate to Code for Anchorage
Donate - Code for Anchorage is a volunteer non-profit group under 501c3 Code for America and relies on donations to pay for food and beverages at meetings, software and hosting, and for marketing. With those resources our volunteers work on projects that help make Anchorage an easier and better city to live in. Please consider making a tax dedecutible donation.
See what it's all about. No tech skills? Don't sweat it, we welcome people with ideas.
We are working on trail, transit, and texting apps. Have an idea for a civic project? Stop by one of our bi-weekly hack nights and share it.
Current and past projects
- Balance - Check your SNAP (Alaska Quest Card, Food Stamp) Balance via texting. Spanish version - We are looking for help translating Balance into other languages.
- Find Yourself in Kincaid Park is an app by Brigade member, Mike Brook, that uses Code for Anchorage Trail data from the Muni, DNR and Single Track Advocates.
- Click that Hood is a web game for learning neighborhoods and geography. Brigade members have added data for the following: Anchorage, Fairbanks, Indigenous Peoples and Languages of Alaska, Alaska Iditarod Trail (Even Years), Canada (Provinces) Start here to build confidence (only 10.)
- We worked with the Muni to put the People Mover bus data into Google Maps which you can use in People Mover Trip Planner or by using the bus icon in Google Maps. The data is also used by Bing and Moovit.
- Dipnet_App! tracks the kenai sockeye run to find the perfect time to go dipnetting!
We are lucky to work with the Muni People Mover group on transit related apps. Former Muni CIO, Lance Ahern is a frequent Code for Anchorage attendee, advocate and valuable partner. We recenlty started working with the AK DHSS on SNAP related projects and other potential projects.
We are lucky to work with the Food Bank of Alaska on SNAP related projects, like Balance. We have also beek lucky to work with the Anchorage Parks Foundation and Single Track Advocates on trail data projects.
Have questions or want to share something interesting? Join our google group.